A thick and concentrated mixture prepared from fresh tomatoes is called tomato concentrate. It simply adds depths of flavor to your dish. A stabilizer such as citric acid, salt, and occasionally herbs and spices are added to manufactured tomato pastes. Additionally, there are varieties of tomato paste that are triple- and double-concentrated, making them even more strong.
How Is Tomato Concentrate Made?
To make tomato concentrate, tomatoes are cooked for several hours. Long looking times help to reduce the water content, which is then moved after the seeds and skins have been strained out. The liquid is then cooked again to make the base thicker, rich concentrate, which has a bright red color. Tomato concentrates intensify flavor in slow-cooked recipes.
All About Double and Triple Concentrate
As per law, double concentrate must have at least 36% dry residue, and double concentrate must have at least 28% dry residue, both net of additional sugars. These products also require varied amounts of fresh tomatoes. One kg of double concentrate can be made from around 6 kg of fresh tomatoes, and one kg of triple concentration can be made from about 7 kg of tomatoes.
Key Market Drivers
The global tomato concentrate market was valued at USD 1.11 billion in 2022 and is expected to obtain USD 1.88 billion, generating a CAGR of 5.4% during the forecast period.
- Changing consumer preference: Consumers are constantly changing their preference for convenience and ready-to-eat food products, which is one of the prominent factors driving the market growth.
- Popularity of various tomato-based products: Paste, sauces, and purees are becoming popular in the food service industry, including hotels, restaurants, and catering services, which is boosting the tomato concentrate market growth.
- Rise in investments in R&D: Growing investments in research and development to reach and facilitate the development of new product variants such as organic, low-sodium, and value-added tomato concentrates are expected to fuel the industry expansion.
- Increasing trend of health consciousness: Growing interest in environmentally friendly tomato concentrate sourcing and manufacturing practices can be attributed to consumers’ increased concern about the impact of the food they consume on the environment and with ethical practices.
- Skincare applications: The growing popularity of tomatoes in skincare products due to their ability to treat acne and lighten skin is also anticipated to propel the tomato concentrate market demand.
Diving Deep into Geographical Spreading
Based on geography, Europe witnessed the largest market share in 2022 and is anticipated to maintain its dominance during the forecast period. This can be attributed to the presence of a well-established food processing industry and rising awareness about the different health advantages and nutritional value of tomato concentrate products across nations such as Spain, Germany, France, and the UK. Furthermore, Asia Pacific is predicted to grow at the fastest rate with a healthy CAGR during the forecast period due to the rising number of consumers coupled with their changing dietary patterns.
Health Benefits of Tomato Concentrate
Lycopene, a potent antioxidant associated with many health advantages, including lowering the risk of some chronic diseases, can be found in tomato concentrate. Further, recent UCLA-led research in mice found that adding several types of tomato concentrate to the diet can help reduce the intestinal inflammation that is linked with HIV. Intestinal inflammation can promote arterial disease, which can lead to heart attack and stroke.
Moreover, the tomato concentrate market is a thriving and prominent sector in the food industry. The market serves both household consumers and food manufacturers. Its versatile applications, health benefits, and attractive flavor contribute to its growing popularity. The market is ready to grow further as customer preferences change and cooking innovations continue.